Tuesday 1 July 2008

Summer days


Christ, it's hot today.

It's not even the half arsed 'ooh - could it be beer garden weather today?' hotness that our fine nation usually experiences in summertime. Today, it's genuine sunbathing, Pimms drinking, Wimbledon watching, have-to-take-a-back-up-deoderant-to-work-ing summer weather. Lovely.

I'm normally a winter type of girl. I like the warm clothes, I like the snow - christ, I even like the rain. I like the cuddling up in front of the fire watching old movies. And I bloody LOVE Christmas. But today's reminded me that sunshine can be good too.

So to celebrate the start of summer, I got up early today, dug out the pinkest of summer dresses from the depth of my wardrobe, chucked on some sunglasses and made some summery plans. We have the boy's mum to stay with us for a few days from tomorrow, so I've booked some time off work and plan to take her to Kew Gardens or Windsor Castle, together other summertime pursuits involving beer gardens, late dinners sitting outside, parks, walks and ice cream purchases.

But hey, that's tomorrow. It's sunny today. And I'm looking forward to meeting my pal Emma for lunch - sitting in the sunshine, smoking and catching up over rose (the summery-est of summer drinks). Tonight we have a work party, which I've petitioned to have in a beer garden. Who knows, by tomorrow my normal pasty hue might be replaced with a slight tan. I can only hope.

No comments: