Wednesday 6 August 2008

Television and do-gooder food

So, it seems that I'm addicted to the telly. I always knew this of course, but it was brought home to me yesterday night - when I went to get my nails done. I get a manicure sporadically at Sam's, in Acton - where I live. She's amazing, and I can highly recommend her for a nice manicure, should you ever be in the area.

Sam's from China originally and was checking out the coverage from the Chinese New Year on her imported TiVO. Asked me whether I'd like it turned over, but oh no. Within about two minutes, I was glued to the coverage - not understanding a word, but getting right into it. Cue a couple of comedy sketches, and I was understanding the sentiment and getting some laughs.

Which goes to prove that TV's great. Whatever language it's in.

Of course, since my last post (oh so long ago) I haven't just been watching the telly. Mainly watching the telly, sure, but not just that. Last weekend, the boy and I travelled down to Axminster in Devon to visit my brother, who's just moved there with his wife.

Axminster is the home of celeb chef do-gooder Hugh Fernly Whittingstall, and we figured that while we were there, we may as well check out his restaurant; River Cottage. I was slightly nervous about doing so, as guessed that it would be full of worthy types talking about organic veg and feeding their kids only home grown food in order to boost the brain power of their little Cuthbert/Georgina (delete as appropriate). I, unlike them, am quite partial to the odd packet of super noodles and a dirty kebab after a drunken night out. But it was lovely - seriously nice home cooked food, cheaply priced - and huge portions. I had a white onion and coriander soup - and a tomato and brie salad, which were both gorgeous.

So there you have it. When in Acton, get a manicure and enjoy some Chinese TV. When in Devon, eat with the locals. And here ends my message for today.

No comments: