Thursday 12 June 2008

Weekend with friends, and miracle hangover cure


Today's posts seem to have a theme - but bear with me.


A couple of weeks ago my lovely friend Jenny, from back home in Somerset, came to visit me in London. I had planned a weekend full of exciting pursuits: shopping, mainly, and lunches, followed by a friend's 30th birthday party in Clapham where we'd eat great food and drink frozen cocktails.


The only problem was that I got coerced (oh, all right, I suggested it) into drinks with my work pals on Friday night. And one quick pint turned into roughly a hundred.* A lovely evening was had, but I woke up on Saturday morning with the mother of all hangovers. After the long-suffering boyfriend had made me several cups of tea, which were promptly thrown back up, and wafted a bacon sandwich under my nose (it had the same effect as the tea), I headed to Paddington to pick up Jen. My head was exploding and instead of meeting her from the train with a big hug and lots of excited chatter, I almost threw up on her shoes.


So we had to go home. Rather quickly. In a cab. And instead of mooching around Selfridges buying lovely things and gossiping, we were sitting on my sofa watching Sky, while I was rendered unable to speak. Not fun. But...in roughly forty minutes, I was fine and raring to go. In an hour we were in Topshop trying to work out whether a checked shirt made me look like a boy or not. That night, I was able to have some beer and celebrate the birthday boy's big day.


The miracle cure was soup. Gallons of hot peppery soup, which if you can keep it down (and believe me, it takes some doing) rehydrates your body immediately and steams out a hangover pronto. Try it, it's genius.


But what's better - and is quite frankly the best hangover cure in the world, ever - was called upon today. I ditched the chips idea in favour of a Wagamamas with my friend Sarah - and opted for their chicken itame, which is amazing. The salty coconut soup soaks up any left over booze immediately - and the spices knock your hangover out of the park. Order with extra chillis, and a generous slug of chilli oil and your hangover will be, well, over.


Feeling a load better than this morning, and have even managed to email my partner in crime from last night to tell her we must do it again soon. Tonight though, I'll be picking up the latest DVD releases (perhaps fuelling my guilty pleasure of Affleck flicks) curling up on the sofa and eating crisps. Can't wait.


*an alcohol fuelled exaggeration

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love read your post, and you have nice blog, I will back here again