Monday 14 July 2008

Cakes, films and arses

Last Friday marked the man's birthday. I took the day off work and took him out for a day of cinema hopping, huge pizzas and wine. Got up early on the actual day, and decorated the living room with banners, cards and gifts. I also baked a cake - which was rubbish (like sawdust, actually) - but which he claimed to enjoy nonetheless. (A second cake was purchased on Saturday - the first getting dumped hastily in the bin after we'd had a slice).

At the flicks, we went to see Hancock - and fully expected it to be a fun filled Will Smith classic. While I hated 'I am Legend', I generally enjoy Will Smith's movies - and think he's great in comedies - like Hitch, which I loved in a guilty pleasures kinda way.

It was good - we laughed. Will Smith was likeable, the PR guru sidekick was cute. We were nudging each other and congratulating ourselves on not listening to our Hancock doubting friends.

That was until the inclusion of a Hancock-sticking-a-crim's-head-up-the-arse-of-another-crim prison scene (set to Sanford and Son, interestingly) which will surely have many parents second-guessing their decision to pull the kiddies out of the sunshine for an afternoon. It was totally outrageous actually - and made me question how the movie ever got it's certificate. Am I being too harsh here, I wonder? Slightly too prudish? Or if the tables were turned, and Will Smith was doling out arse related punishments to women, would we see the scene in a less-humerous, more sordid, way?

Go see the flick..tell me what you think. I'm off to write a Mary Whitehouse esq, outraged, letter of complaint.

No comments: