Tuesday 22 July 2008

Oh baby


I've taken a few days off from the hard slog of blogging (slogging?) as, firstly, my ideas were running out - and secondly, I've had a break from work (and my computer) to catch up with some old friends, see my family, and drink far to much white wine.

I was delighted to have my pal Katy, who recently emigrated to Dubai, back in London - and set about organising a big drinking session to welcome her back into the city in style. Dan, Bill, Caroline, Lisa, Paul and I took up our posts at a Soho pub and set about plying her with wine and hearing her tales of desert life. It sounds like she's having an amazing time, and I'm so pleased, but it made me realise just how much I miss having her around. Katy has been, for a long while, my trusty drinking partner - who can be relied upon to grab just 'one small drink' after work - which invariably turned into six or seven, an omlette and chips and a cab home (sometimes with dancing around my flat to Bon Jovi thrown into the lovely, drunken, mix). A few beers turned into many, and before we knew it we were headed towards trusty kareoke joint, Lucky Voice, where we belted out said Bon Jovi classics and serenaded Katy with all our might. Was such a good night and only slightly blurry around the edges.

The next day, my lovely friend Katie helped me to take the edge off my hangover by inviting me to spend the day with her and her new baby, Lola - who is absolutely gorgeous. I headed over there laden with M&S food to mop up the booze, and we set about demolishing it, all while reading Lola tasty excerpts from this week's OK Magazine. She laughtd in all the right places and smiled broadly at a picture of Matt DiAngelo. A veery promising sign. I think she's going to love celebrity gossip (and Matt DiAngelo) just like her mum. Hurrah.

I then checked out Katie's new Manolos, which were BEAUTIFUL and made me desperately want one of the Spanish maestro's creations (actually, a pair would be nice). We also took Lola for a visit to the local pub (Katie maintained that a pint would sort me right out) - and generally had a jolly good time. Such a nice day - thanks Katie.

So that's it - chucked in a visit from the parentals and a lovely weekend with the man, and now I'm back at work. Yes, Emily, I know - no opinions. Next time, I'll do politics. And perhaps talk about carbon footprints. Oh yeah.

2 comments:

@EmVicW said...

Ooh sounds like a lovely week off!

Do you know when Katy is back in Dubai, or if not for a while, what mobile number she can be reached on? Organising my flights back here after Christmas and planning a Dubai stop...

Anonymous said...

Typically a picture of the baby rather than us (you) doing drunken kareoke was selected to adorn the article