Friday 19 September 2008

Weddings



The man and I are newly back from our Roman holiday (though sadly I looked a lot less glamorous than Audrey Hepburn). We made the trip to see my pal Emily get married - an event which I've been very excited about for some time.

It was bloody amazing. Which I appreciate isn't the most articulate way to summarise events, but it really was. We travelled out last Thursday morning (the day before she got hitched) and spent a day sightseeing and speaking rubbish Italian, until our tiredness hit and necessitated finding a bar, ordering beer and huge sandwiches, and generally lolling around in the sunshine.

Thursday evening saw a drinks reception for the bride, followed by a gorgeous meal for me and the man where I drank way too much wine given the sunshine and my tiredness.

Emily's wedding day was absolutely amazing. She got married in St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City - which was just incredible. Crowds of tourists snapped her picture like she was a movie star, which is pretty much exactly what she looked like. A gorgeous service and lots of sobbing (me) and lots of pictures (the boy) later, and the bride and groom went off for a day of pictures and sightseeing, while her guests amused themselves for the afternoon.

We reconvened in the evening at Palazzo Brancaccio - which is one of Rome's palaces -for a gorgeous meal, speeches and revelry. New hubbie's speech made me cry buckets and hers was pretty bloody good too.

All in all, it was a brilliant trip - and while I could probably summarise it better, I was so honoured to be invited and share their special day. Congratulations Em and James - you are brilliant.

No comments: